Tuesday, December 21, 2010

I just wanted to write a little "pre-Christmas" blog entry. I haven't posted for ages, I have been very committed to trying to really focus on what's going on around me, and make sure all my priorities are strait.
The real reason is that I wanted to brag (and repent) a little about my kids. They have been through so much this year, and with out them I think I wouldn't have had a reason to keep getting out of bed every morning. They lost everything that was normal and safe in their little world, EXCEPT us and Jesus.
I admit I really expected some very negative side effects from all of these changes. I thought for sure they would be acting out, angry, sad, and displaced. But they aren't. They're fantastic. I really think that, although the losses were painful, and change was hard, we were following what God wanted us to do in this season in life. The call often hasn't made sense to us, but he has continually protected our children.
Since living here (in this tiny living space) we have put nearly ALL their toys in storage. I am a little OCD about clutter (I'm not a neat-freak, but clutter increases my anxiety) so minimizing as much as possible was my only option. There are still days when one of the kids will ask something like: "where's my Lightning McQueen cars?", and I have to say: "remember, honey, they're in storage, and we'll see them again someday."
So, as any mom can imagine, it has been HARD work to keep them entertained in a small space with not much to do.
But here's what I noticed when I was watching them play today:
They are SO content. I even asked Jack what he wants for his birthday and he literally couldn't think of anything, and got angry when I asked him again later. They just like to talk to each other, move around, look at books, sing together, and are truly happy with what they have.
I am so proud of them. They are some of the strongest little people I know, and have over-come more challenges than many adults I know.
So, not to leave anyone fretting or feeling sad for them, they are going to have a fantastic Christmas (and birthdays on the 28th and 30th). It may actually be more than they can handle...
I hope you all, like me have really taken the time to evaluate what you are teaching your children, not just with the Christmas season, but with your lifestyle. The hard road is often the road to character and success. I am so thankful that the difficulties in my life have been used to make my children stronger people.

So for the repenting: I don't know if they ever have or ever will have another Christmas like this one. We DO NOT put an emphasis on gifts etc, but this is the season we are in and it's a small way to bring a little sunshine into their life. Hopefully it don't come back to bite me next week when I have to take back everything I've said previously.

2 comments:

Missy said...

Mandi, it gives me such joy to read that you are doing so well.
As you will notice, my blog has been pretty empty lately too and for the same reason. I have been trying to be in the moment and not on the computer.

I hope your family has a Merry Christmas!

We love you and miss you!

Jessica said...

I miss you so much! So proud of you and your family! Hope you guys have a great holiday and very happy birthdays! I am on break so I will try to call sometime soon.... I've been bad at it lately! Miss you!