Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Being a female is hard work. The pressures of being everything to everyone. Be the best mom. Be the perfect wife. Be social and hospitable. As Christian women I think we are double burdened because we live in this world and must deal with it's expectations and standards, and yet we also want to fulfill our obligations according to God's word.
I got up this morning and my kitchen stunk. I had left dirty dishes in the sink all day yesterday and all night, because it was so hot I didn't want to do anything. Heat+dirty dishes=STINK.
Yet on the other hand I have cheerfully accepted several new responsibilities at church and in the community that will take up way more than ten sweaty minutes to deal with. What is with that?
So while there is no school, MOPS, women's bible study, or any other commitments due to summer break, I am going to take the time to really figure out why God made me the way I am. I hope all my friends can find a little time to do the same. My starting place right now is a book called "Captivating", that my friend Sarah lent me a few months ago. I was hoping to start a summer bible study for anyone who needed it, but then I got caught in the under toe of summer schedules. As an alternative, if there is anyone who wants to grab a copy for themselves, I would love to have some buddies to discuss it with. I am only about a sixth of the way into it, and so far it is really hitting on some of my core issues as a female.
If you're interested please let me know by email/phone/any other silly internet way of communicating.

"Even to see her walk across the room is a liberal education."-C.S.Lewis

"...A woman must have a thorough knowledge of music,singing, drawing, dancing, and the modern languages, to deserve the word (accomplished); and besides all this, she must possess a certain something in her air and manner of walking, the tone of her voice, her address and expressions, or the word will be half deserved."
"All this she must possess, added Darcy; and to all this she must yet add something more substantial, in the improvement of her mind by extensive reading."
"I am no longer surprised at you knowing only six accomplished women. I rather wonder now at your knowing any."
"Are you so severe upon your own sex, as to doubt the possibility of all this?"
"I never saw such a woman. I never saw such a capacity, and taste, and application, and elegance, as you describe, united."
-Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice

3 comments:

Missy said...

I would be interested. Without Wednesday night bible study, I find myself not keeping in the word.

Let me see if I can find a copy.

sarah said...

I am game!

Missy said...

I just picked up a copy from the library today. What's the plan?