Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Two Masters


There are times in life that I know what my purpose is, it's clear. Some of those are hard times full of difficulty and tough decisions. Others there is an overwhelming amount of good things and I just don't know what to do with myself. BUT, I am human, and there are times that I get so caught up in ME that I totally loose track of what I was doing. That is such a lost and confusing way to be. There's no end when it comes to trying to make yourself happy. There's always something else you think will satisfy.
This morning I cleaned out my purse getting ready for the trip. You would not believe how my Target receipts came out of that little purse. How embarrassing! First of all the people at Target must think I'm crazy. Second of all... WHY!? Granted some of it was necessities like baby food and diapers. Others, well I don't even know what they were.
So that's an example on a small scale, and that's how it starts. Then it moves to other areas of life and can become really serious, like when you spend LOTS of time contemplating how to make other people like you and that is a very slippery slope.
When we aren't seeking happiness and purpose in God we can get so far away from true happiness soooo quickly. What is true happiness?

Psalm 4:7 You have filled my heart with greater joy than when their grain and new wine abound.

Psalm 5:11 But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you.

Psalm 6:11 You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand.

If you don't know what your purpose in life is, there's only one way to find out. When you learn more about God you learn more about why he made you, who you REALLY are.
Just be warned: living life outside of your God given purpose is like trying to draw water from a well with no bottom. Not only will you never gain anything from it, but if you lean in too far while trying you will probably fall in, and there's no bottom to stop your fall.
So, even though I'm not going to be home this week my goal is to let go of all those distractions that have been holding me back and taking away my strength and determination. Regroup, refocus, and renew. I know where my joy is, it's time to get back on track.

2 comments:

Missy said...

I too need to get back on track. It is hard finding that time during the day.

I'm looking forward to the fall women's bible study starting back up again because it kind of forces me to stay on track.

Brock Eastman said...

"I think you'd be interested in a cool contest going on at my blog. The Grand Prize is the first and second book of Hunter Brown."