Tuesday, February 16, 2010

old dirty dish rag

Every spring, when it's time to do that annual spring cleaning, I have another annual chore that I perform. There comes a day every spring, when I walk into my local Target and see all the cutesy teeny tiny bathing suits. Instantly, I am thrown into a panic. I begin to take inventory of my physical state and realize that I am sadly unkempt and neglected from over the winter months. When was the last time those toenails saw a fresh coat of paint? or those legs a ray of natural light? Geese lady, are you trying to look like Tom Selleck?
And the scale, oh dreaded platform of my self loathing and shame. Step up lightly, and tell myself the worst case scenario, so that if it's anything less I walk away pleased.
Most of my friends probably noticed that somewhere around Christmas I suddenly silenced on the topic of weight loss. I will confess that I have, like most humans, been having health problems. NOTHING SERIOUS. Just the type of thing that can cause some set backs. In fact, lately I've been feeling well, and the lack of exercise is just from being out of habit. I also had a period of time when I was so stressed out I couldn't function. Again, exercise would certainly help that too.
So time to get back on the ol' proverbial bandwagon.
I'm not a very "materialistic" person. I don't daydream about shoes or purses. I am way past any notion that an article of clothing could possibly make me "happy". Still, there is something to be said for having clothes that fit. After loosing a huge amount of weight last summer and now having gained a portion of it back, I am neither here nor there. I own jeans from sizes 6-16. That alone can seriously pray on a woman's nerves. I loath getting dressed to leave the house, and the thought of warm weather and getting out my shorts... I can't even tell you... I don't know what to say. I want the warm sunny weather, with sunglasses, and sweet tea, and barbecue. But SHORTS!
So anyway, there has been some neglect over long cozy winter months with boots and big sweaters.
Today, I'm going to drink my coffee and when my morning caffeine buzz hits: exercise, shower, SHAVE, tweeze, self tanner, and some toe nail polish along with that big foot file.
AND, later this week I will hit the grocery store for some healthy food and fresh cooking ideas.
To top it all off, a Martin family first. Bryan is trying to get in shape too (we're feeling closer and closer to 30). How nice for once that my best buddy can also be my fitness buddy. Well, not that he's planning to Shred with me.

"Thank you Lord for this lovely peaceful morning. Thank you for the birds I hear outside. Please help me to be in a positive mood this week, even when things don't seem very positive. I beg you for extra energy for my physical body. I am pulled and worked in so many directions and sometimes I feel like I'm falling apart. Help me to be a great mother and wife today. Take the glory Lord, it's all for you. Amen, hallelujah, have a great day!"

2 comments:

Janice said...

Mandi, you should do what I do. Stay pregnant for 5 years. Then when you lose one pound your jumping up and down with excitment.

Missy said...

I'm trying to get back onto the bandwagon myself. In all areas.

I think we need to have a mommy only playdate.