Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Here it comes. Tomorrow is our first IEP meeting with the school since taking Aiden out, back in January. They have stopped pressuring me to bring him back immidiately once they did some testing and saw how much he had improved at home. I think they look at me and think "young, impetuous, pierced up mom. probly ignorant too." So I have actually made some efforts to dispell those negative assumptions. We're getting there.
So here is the part where I'm really torn. To keep Aiden home full time or put him back as a kindergardener. He tested well above all the kindergarden expectations, which sets him up for accademic success next year as a first grader. He is also closer to the maturity level of kindergarden. It would be good practice and help him get "into the swing" of things again. BUT there is a part of me that will never entirely trust the schools with the education of any of my children. I will always want it to be to my specs, or not at all. Aiden would benefit from the professional help, and social time of being in school at least part-time. BUT he is doing pretty well for now with the learning style he gets at home. I also appreciate that he isn't being exposed to outside influences and bullying. BUT there is a chance that being one of the older and mare advanced kids in the class would minimalize some of this.
I could go on. The debate in my mind is seemingly endless. No perfect solution. And the truth, when I'm being open and honest, it that I can't go on with full time homeschool forever. I have drained all of my personal time and energy to benefit ONE of my three children. There are days when I think about the quality of "preschool" education the babies are getting and I feel so frustrated. They deserve the same advantages Aiden had when he was little. They still REALLY need me.
So there it is. Where love and compassion meet the limits of energy and the physical body.

4 comments:

Janice said...

This is a hard choice. When I had Logan at home for a year and a half he did nothing but fight me every day. Our relationship was horrible and getting worse. So I thought I would put him back in school. His grades are worse than ever, he is constantly bullied and even threatened and all the school can do and say, and I quote "if he had an IEP we could give him special protection". What's that all about!? Now that we are moving closer to my mom I'm considering taking him out of school again. She wants to help and would be willing to teach him two of his subjects for me. This is huge and gives me time with all my kids not just the focus on one. If you could find this kind of help, then I encourage keeping him at home. Your a great mom and have your son's best interest at heart. I tip my hat to you.

Missy said...

Ugh! This is exactly where we are at right now too. It doesn't help the situation that we are in one of the worst school districts ever.
I keep praying and asking God for clarity, but apparently, He is not giving me any right now.

God Made Playdough said...

Praying for clarity!

sarah said...

oh mandi, it is soo hard-I really feel for you. Have you thought about private school for him? I know it is quite expensive, but most offer scholarships.
could he do half day or just go to the part he needs at school and do the rest from home? I had lots of kids that did this when I taught.
Just remember you are the expert on your child-You do know what is best and you really are the only one that ONLY has his interest first in mind. Maturity is soo important in school. I never spoke my first year of kindergarten-I mean not one word, so obviously they thought there was something wrong-but really it was a maturity issue and I was just extremely shy. I did two years of kindergarten and it was the best thing. I have never personally wittnessed a situation where holding back had a more negative than positive effect.
ok so there is my two sense even though you didn't ask:)