Tuesday, March 30, 2010

First off, I had several comments here and otherwise from ladies asking for more info on the bible study I'm starting. I've only done the first section, so if it stinks I wouldn't know yet, but here's the info:

"Homemaking", Nurturing your family in todays world.
by Tjitske Lemstra and Baukje Doornenbal (Tjitske is from Holland and Baukje is from the Netherlands)
Navpress is the publisher, www.navpress.com

I ordered it, probably from the publisher along with several other studies, a few years ago. I just keep things like that on hand for the times I haven't been participating in the one at church.

An overview of the study would be that it is about encouraging women to A) Recognize why her role in the home IS IMPORTANT, and that it is important to God
B)To help women reconnect with their inner selves, and personality, after the feeling of be "lost" in her role as homemaker. If anyone chooses to to it to we could always have a get together when we are done to share what we learned, etc. Otherwise, I hope this is helpful info.

So, as for today, Tuesday March 30, I didn't want to get out of bed. Something today has me so bound up and anxious. I have a meeting with a healthcare advocate who may be able to get us the healthcare we need, especially for Aiden, but obviuosly for us as a family. All the changes in the system are so confusing to me right now. I realize that on the whole, the Christian community is very upset with the bill that was passed, and that it requires all to have healthcare, therefore taking away our right to choose.
BUT (and please don't be angry, I'm just being honest) after all the medical issues we have had to deal with this past year, and running out of money to give our children the care that they need, I maybe a little hopeful. I'm hoping that the changes will make it possible for families like ours, who aren't poor enough for medicaid, but not rich enough for the $400 per month healthcare offered through Bryan's work, to recieve healthcare we can afford. We shouldn't have to choose between putting food on the table and being able to go to the doctor. The amount of money the hospital was allowed to charge us ON TOP of what our insurance was paying was cripling us, and could have cost us our place to live. For years Bryan and I have marveled at how the health care in other countries is FREE to tax paying citizens! I don't think this damages their constitutional rights. In fact as a member of this coutry its something that I always though should kinda be "included". I realize that the people who have more will have to pay more, and that they worked really hard to get to where they are, and that it's not "fair" that they should have to pay for some family of a guy who didn't go to college or whatever. But look here, when there are people, children, babies, and grandparents who are suffering and you never even tried to help, even though you worked really hard for the money you have, God is still gonna ask you "why?" when you get to heaven, and you won't be able to hide behind that cash when you get there. It's a sad day when the goevernment has to force it's people to share something like healthcare. It's not a want, it's a need.
Ok, I know that may be all ignorance, assumption, and left-wingedism (which I am not). But in the light of this meeting I am having today, I can't help turning it over in my mind over and over. I am always against more "laws", we don't need them and they take away from the rights of the majority, etc etc. BUT isn't healthcare something that should have already been protected in our basic rights a long time ago? TAKE THE CONTROL AWAY FROM THE INSURANCE COMPANIES AND THE PHARMESUTICAL COMPANIES. Does our advancment in technology go down, maybe, but we'll all die someday no matter what. Do I think that too much technology takes away from our true quality of life, yes I do. The system is defective and must be changed, and it's going to hurt. But the power was already in the wrong hands. So, my solution is to pray that over the years and years it will take for real change to happen in this arena, that the change will be to benefit even "the least of us". Jesus would have wnated that drug addict to have healthcare.

2 comments:

Janice said...

Washington state has always had free health care for all children no matter the financial status of the family. Now we will have to pay for adults too. I think all children should be covered, but that is all. I know that sounds heartless, but my husbands company has already said that if premiums go up, like they will, then after their contract is up they will drop insurance and we'll have to pay for the whole thing. We have awesome insurance now and we make to much to get free health care.also if we don't get insurance at the time then we will be fined and that is wrong. No one should be forced to pay for something they don't want to have. Sorry Mandi, I love you tons but I have to disagree with you on this one. It was great how it was. Of course pre-existing conditions should never come into play that has always needed to change.

Missy said...

I think there is a lot more to this then it just being about everyone getting health care. I think there is a lot that they are not telling us and a lot that are buried in the health care bill; things like the college funding.
In my opinion, they just wrapped it up all to nice and pretty for it to just be about health care for everyone. Plus, it isn't working in Canada like they make it out to be.
I have listened to a lot of talk about from a variety of sources. Not only is unconstitutional, but there is a lot of other things going on behind the scenes.
Trust me, I get where you are coming from. We are in the same boat, if not worse with medical bills and insurance. It sucks. I just don't think that this is the answer.
However, like you, I will be praying about it continually and just keep faith that it is all in God's hands.