Monday, April 5, 2010

Back in Business

We had a nice long spring break from bookwork and most homeschool stuff. We relaxed, spent time enjoying each other's company, and also attending some meetings with the school to plan for next year.
Now break is over, and it's time to pull up our bootstraps. I'm guessing we will have about 11 weeks of school left before we're ready to go into summer mode, but it really depends on the pace we keep. Aiden has one more phonics book, which he just started today, that he needs to finish. Also I want to reach our goal of over 50 sight words (we use flash cards) so that he will well exceed the Kindergarten expectations. Once we have done those things we will still work on reading and phonics through the summer, because if he should return to public school at all he would be well ahead of the expectations. He struggled to keep up in the reading/writing areas in the past, so being on par would be a great step in the right direction.
Spring has really arrived at our house, rain and all. We worked on our back yard all week. We're almost done with our little patio makeover. My parents recently sold their house and have downsized between their two condos. We are inheriting a FABULOUS natural gas grill, patio furniture, lots of potted plants, landscaping tools, and more. We are so excited to have the outdoor living space we always fantasized about. I am soooo stoked to start my summer cooking and grilling, and have a very pleasant place to entertain friends on summer evenings. Thank you so much mom and dad.
On a similarly related note, we will be having a garage sale including my parents extra furniture, some of our extra stuff, and things from our neighbors in our culdesac. If you are into garage saling come check us out. It will be next weekend, Friday and Saturday. Or if you have things to sell just let me know, we are happy to include anyone.
As a product of helping my parents out with this garage sale we will be inheriting their washer and dryer set and getting rid of ours, so if that is something you need let me know.
Again, on a somewhat related note, we are also getting a big garage fridge/refrigerator from my parents. I am sooooo excited because it has completely changed the way I grocery shop. I have been able to stock up on things I didn't have room for before. All those tips I have gotten from my awesome bargain shopping friends are finally paying off!! Thank you thank you Missy http://www.areyouthere-god.com/ and Jen www.thriftynorthwestmom.com and so many other ladies who post your awesome shopping adventures. So if you are wondering what I've been doing? No, I'm not a pro yet, and I'm not particularly organized with my coupons, BUT I have been using fliers to plan my shopping ahead of time. I go to at least three different stores and get what I would usually get, but only where it's on sale. Our meals have gotten so much better! I have been getting some great deals on meat and am ready for the grill. It's been fun. Three cheers for bogos!!!
Ok, so thats about all the info I plan to overload you all with today. As the weather improves I hope for some playdates, some gardening, and a grand finale to this backyard project. Happy Monday :)

3 comments:

tscarter7 said...

We may be interested in your dryer if you are ok with splitting them up. We have an old one now that sounds like it's about to quit! Let me know! :)

Missy said...

Sounds like you have been busy, but productive.

We are planning on working in our backyard this weekend. 'Tis the season.

I'm so glad you are able to start using the tips and tricks of couponing. Isn't it so much easier when you have the space for it?

Oh, and thanks for the plug. =)

Jessica said...

You didn't tell me you were ALSO getting their fabulous washer and dryer!! I am so jealous, wanna trade parents??