Thursday, August 6, 2009

Gone

This morning the song "Gone" by Switchfoot is on a continual rotation in my brain. It makes sense, though, because this morning I cleaned out Lucy's closet. Goodbye baby swing, goodbye bouncy seat, goodbye newborn swaddling blankets. "Today will soon be gone, like yesterday is gone."
I am glad to pass these items on to another family, but it feels like just yesterday I was preparing for the arrival of little Jack, and now it's been almost three years! And Lucy, just when I thought I was going back into the never ending pregnancy and newborn days, here I am getting rid of all the precious things I gathered to prepare for her arrival. The baby days will soon be gone. It's hard, after being in pregnancy/newborn mode for the past seven years, to know how to move on from all that. No pregnancy tests, no nursing in the middle of the night, no pouring over "What to Expect When You're Expecting" for the hundredth time.
Yes, we are truly finished, no I really don't want another baby. I just wish those days with my babies hadn't flown by in such a flash (although it seemed like an eternity at the time).
Now to embrace my freedom. I don't have to stay away from fancy cheese and wine, I don't need pants with a stretchy waistband, or worry about pregnancy weight ever again. My body is no longer shared.
...beautiful memories of birth....

1 comment:

Missy said...

This is why I'm still in limbo about this being our last baby or not. I'm not ready for it to all be gone yet.