Thursday, October 30, 2008

Should we choose a date?

We took Aiden to his school Halloween carnival last night. We were proud that he was able to wait in the line to get in the door and we were able to stay for about 30 minutes (that's pretty good for him). Bryan and I were also proud of ourselves that we were able to identify when he was reaching his max and leave BEFORE a melt down. All in all it made for a pretty good evening.

So here's a little summary of something I have been thinking about, and I would like some feedback:
As you may know my due date is Jan 2. The problem we are encountering is 1)Bryan has a business trip scheduled for the first week in January, and it would be very beneficial if he can go (it's necessary really) 2) Aiden's Christmas break ends Jan 2, someone will have to get him too and from school after that 3) My doctor, Finley, is going to leave for his annual ski trip on Jan 2.
So my point is, Bryan and I are considering an elective induction at 39 weeks. It's not something I would normally consider, I feel like a woman's body knows what to do on it's own. But I just don't know how else to get around all these other things. On top of it we really would like it if she doesn't have to share a birthday with Jesus, Jack, me, or new years. (25th, 28th, 30th, 1st)
I would like to hear some induction stories. I am pretty wise in the way of childbirth. I would only agree to attempt an induction if it is agreed not to break my water until active labor is reached, and if it isn't working I go home. No cutting. I have had 3 kids vaginally and I'm not trying to mix it up now.
Anyway, it's something we have to start thinking about. It's already almost November!

5 comments:

Keren said...

I've had both kids through inductions at 42 weeks (ugh) lol. One was successful, the other was not. The Drs now feel that the reason for Jacobs c/s was because of the postion of his head. I never dilated on my own with him and when it came time to push, he just wouldnt budge. With Norah, on the otherhand, I felt way more "pressure" down there the last few weeks of my pg. I dilated up to a 3 on my own and the day of induction proved to be way more successful. I dont blame you for wanting to avoid those days!! You're December seems full enough already!! Christmas is enough to stress about let alone all those bdays too! Good Luck missy :)

Michelle said...

We're also strongly contemplating an elective induction at 39 weeks- which would be Dec. 16th! (6 weeks and 5 days away, but who's counting?) Mainly because of Christmas, but also because I know I will be miserable and absolutely done with the pregnancy by then. With both boys my body went into labor around 38 weeks on its own, but needed pitocin to progress things. With Jonathan I chose to be induced at 39 weeks because I had been in labor for a week already. It went VERY well. My labor with Daniel was 27 hours, and my induction with Jonathan was 12 hours (so short for me!). They started the day with pitocin at 10 am (I was already at 3 cm), and at 5 pm they broke my water. He was born around 11 pm. I was able to have him without an epidural (which was my goal). Even though they say inductions can be worse, mine was better! I'm coming to your shower, so we can talk more then if you want (or you can always email me).

Sarah said...

My (non-elective) induction did not go so well...but I hear that most do, so I'll spare you the details. It sounds like you've thought it through, so I'd say do what you think is best. (Mine was with my first, which might have had a lot to do with its results. Perhaps it works better with later babies??)

Sarah

PS I know this is kind of dumb, but the little code thing I have to type in to post is "fuscry". How appropriate for a post about babies!

God Made Playdough said...

I was induced with both of mine so I don't know any different. They both came under 13 hours. I had cervagel, then pitocin later with Rylie and just the pitocin with Anna. I'm probably biased, but I liked having the inductions.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mandy!! 2 of my 3 were induced and I would chose it over going into labor ANYDAY!!! Cytotec was used to start (1st time orally, 2nd time vaginally) and then a bit of petocin was IVed to pick up the pace a bit later. There were several reasons I chose this. W/Maddie, she was in a situation where I was induced 5 weeks early. Scary situation, but went really well. W/Jaxon, I asked to be induced a week early. Since he was my 3rd baby (all vaginally) my dr. was totally fine w/it. I started labor w/both within 5/6 hours of the cytotec, and had my babies in under 12 hours. It was so nice to be able to prepare mentally and physically for them. I loved being able to go into labor w/Collin (#1), but for my crazy life after that it was nice to have a plan.

I'm done rambling!! Sorry!! I'm praying for you and your little one!!

Steph