Friday, January 2, 2009

Too Posh to Push (Lucy's birth story)


I have been trying to write this post for days, but the pain meds just wouldn't let me. I'm finally able to get up and around with out them, and I am so glad because I couldn't stay awake before.
So I guess the story begins the evening of the 29th when we made a late night trip to labor and delivery because of some strange bleeding. They basically sent me home because I wasn't contracting, and I was pretty ticked because they didn't seem at all concerned about anything else. I mentioned to them that the baby had been changing positions and the doc wanted them to check her position if I ever came in. They ignored that.
So the next morning I went in to see Finley as scheduled. I told him about everything that went on the night before. He did an ultrasound and there she was, sideways with her head up under my ribs. I'm not really sure how long she had been that way. So now we had a problem. This plus the bleeding made for a rather precarious situation. So the solution was cesarean A.S.A.P. They tried to get us in for later that afternoon but the hospital was so busy. So I had an appointment for eight o'clock the next morning.
December 30th, 2008, we arrived at St Joseph's at six am as instructed. They hooked me up to the IV and my family showed up by 7:30. At eight it was show time. I wasn't nervous to begin with, although this whole experience was foreign to me. They gave me the spinal and I laid down on the table. That's when the only "unpleasant" part of the experience came in. I was so numb I couldn't feel myself breathing. It felt like I was forcing each breath. Then the nausea hit. It took about 5 minutes of heaving and panic before whatever the anesthesiologist put in the iv took effect and everything mellowed out. Then Bryan came in. He looked pretty nervous. Poor guy stopped at every bathroom on our way through the hospital so I was a little worried about him.
I don't really know what point they started. Bryan and I were just chatting nervously while the doctors did their thing. They had to work pretty hard to get her out, she was really stuck.
At 8:25 am Lucy Clover was born feet first, she weighed 7 lbs 12oz, and she was 20 1/4in long.
She was the best birthday present I ever got! Happy birthday to me and to Lucy! How many mom's get to share a birthday with their only daughter? It was so special.
Recovery went well. We were released on New Year's Day. What a way to start a new year.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

She's precious!!! And yes it's so neat that you share a birthday. Glad to hear everything went well! Congratulations!!!

Michelle said...

Congratulations!! She's so cute- and has a ton more hair than Megan! We need to get together and meet our girls. I hope everything's going well!

Melissa Guay said...

Congratulation, what a precious picture! She looks just like her brothers!

tscarter7 said...

Welcome sweet little Lucy! Can't wait to meet you! praying for a speedy recovery for you Mandi! Congratulations on your precious girl! :)

Sarah said...

Woo hoo! Congratulations! (I've been out of town so I've been completely out of it!)

Glad to hear that you and Lucy are well.

Sarah

Samantha Edwards said...

Sorry I didn't stop by!! I can't wait to have playdates with Keeley!!

P.S. I wanna see more pictures of that baby!!!!