Tuesday, July 8, 2008

ReCap of My Meat Adventures

I just wanted to go ahead and add a re cap of the Meat adventures portions of my myspace blog. I recently decided to start going to an organic butcher instead of buying meat from the grocery store. I have created several new meals along the way (I don't use recipes, I have been inventing things that are new to me) So here is the re cap:

July 2
So I have to say that dinner last night was one of the best ever. I made stuffed pork chops (bone in). Yeah, there was a point while making them when I thought "this better be worth it", and really it was. The filling I made was butter, golden raisins, diced apples, chopped walnuts, sage, and bread crumbs. I cooked that together first and stirred in the bread crumbs. Stuffing the chops was not easy, but you have to use a really thin paring knife. Then I rubbed the outside with olive oil and salt. Wrapped them tight in cellophane. I took them out of the fridge a good hour before grilling so they were at room temp. I topped them with ga sprinkling of goat cheese while they were hot. No steak sauce needed. On the side I made a manderine almond salad with orange poppyseed dressing.
Yeah, it was good. Try it if you're brave. I didn't use a recipe, so, good luck!

July3
So the meat saga continues:
London Broil. What is a London broil? Well, technically it's actually a style of cooking a Top Round. This is a pretty tough lean cut of meat, and would otherwise probably go in a stew or something. Soo... I made a "brine" (which technically should have alot more sugar in it) to marinate with. Vinegar, redwine, olive oil, worstechershire, soy sauce, paprika, oregano, a couple other various spices to my prefference (I don't remember what smelled right at the time) and brown mustard. Put is in a big ziplock, but the meat in, put it in a tray in the fridge for at least 24 hours.
So last night I took it out of the fridge, let it sit out for a good hour to come to room temp. I grilled it on high heat until medium rare, or about 8-10 min on either side.
When you are done and take it off the grill let it stand. Slice on dialonal against the grain. The strips will be brown and well seasoned around the edges and nice and pink in the middle.
I served with grilled potatoes that I simply coated in olive oil an sprinkled with some Johnny's Seasoning Salt.
So there you have it, chapter 2 of my Meat cooking experience. London Broil is very inexpensive and when cooked properly can be like a cheap steak (it will never be a filet minon).

July 4
I wasn't up for much cooking time so I made this one simple. Chicken quarters, rosemary, olive oil, and a rotisserie. It looked so pretty and fancy, and really I did nothing. The rotisserie makes all the diffence in taste on this one though. Grilling or baking wouldn't have been the same. And we had pasta salad on the side. And a cherry pie for dessert (that I bought for $1 at the Plush Pippin outlet in Kent). So it all worked out and I spent about five minutes on my feet. Perfect.

Today:
I did finally invent a new meat marvel last night. I really liked this one too. Barbeque burgers: ground beef, breadcrumbs, bbq sauce, fried onions (like you put on top of greenbean casserole) Nead it all together and form into patties. Grillem. They are great with lettuce, tomato, mayo, and bacon. We had Texas syle Ranch beans on the side. The burgers were very moist and tasty because of the breadcrumbs and sauce. Mmmm. I was really craving a good burger. This was sooo simple and I recomend it 100%

Consider yourself updated!

No comments: