Friday, November 7, 2008

Aiden, the alien

I have no idea how long it has been since I posted. Monday, I think. This week was so busy, mostly in a good way (with some low spots).
The highlight of the week is something I have been looking forward to sharing, I just had to wait for a time when I could sit down and think enough to form sentences.
So here goes:
Aiden is a funny guy. Often we don't really know what is going on in his head. He is random. His teacher sends home his school work every week, and it is a good way to check his progress. However his level of function changes regularly and it is reflected in his school work.
Anyway, we have been told he did well on his most recent letter and word identification assessments, although we can't get him to talk to us about it at home. I read to him every night, and have since he was born. Last Christmas we received a box of BOB books as a gift. They have been waiting with much of the learning materials I have because when I have attempted to work on reading with him at home he has been very resistant.
I found the box of BOB books the other day, unopened, unread. I got out the first two books in the series and I figured if I start reading them to him he will eventually identify all the words in the book. So we sat down to read and I read the title of the first book, "Mat". That's it. That's all I read, because Aiden proceeded to read the rest of the book to me. As well as the next two books. I didn't pressure him to keep going when he wanted to be done,because I felt like I was somehow going to jinx it and whatever had just happened was going to turn out to be a fluke. That night he read a few of the books to Bryan before bed. I dunno, we were both just speechless. We never know what is going on in that kid's head. My little 5 year old is a reader! This morning he showed me on a map where Washington State is, and then he told me there are lots of aliens here, over 100 of the. What?

So about the rest of my week. I had a great time at Valley MOPS on Tuesday, and Bethany MOPS on Thursday. Aiden was in school Monday, Wednesday and Thursday. Wednesday Jack went to my mom's for some special time with Nana. I went to my friend Amy Eller's where I had some rock'n homemade "Baked Potato Soup". I really enjoy hanging out with her :)

This weekend is going to be so fun. I'm going to Seattle with my mom tomorrow for the whole day. We are taking a nice charter bus up to downtown in the morning and it is bringing us back in the evening. We went last year also, it was soooo fun. I am trying to decided where to eat. I am thinking about Wild Ginger. I would normally say Purple, undoubtedly. However I don't think it's an option this year (thanks alot Lucy!) Then on Sunday I am heading to my mom's for Lucy Clover's "Baby Sprinkle". I am ready to see all my friends!

Ok, that was long. I have more stories, but I'll save them in hopes I will post more often!

4 comments:

Keren said...

love love love love Wild Ginger..thats the spot we usually hit in Seattle too!! Have a blast, it sounds like fun and I will see you on Sunday! :)

btw- we have an important mtg after church on sunday for every awana leader, director and volunteer...if it happens to go late, I'll just sneak out early!

Michelle said...

How exciting to hear about Aiden's reading! I bet that was quite the proud mommy moment. Have fun tomorrow, and I'll see you Sunday!

God Made Playdough said...

Yay for Aiden! That is very exciting! I'm not feeling well, so I'm going to have to skip your sprinkle tomorrow. :( I had wanted to go, but I don't want to get anyone sick. I don't think I'll even go to church. Please post pictures so I won't feel too left out. Have fun! :)

Unknown said...

That must have been so exciting! Full of surprises, huh? =)
BTW, what is your address? I want to send a card or something for your "sprinkle" =) I don't have a blog here but you can email it to me: rebeccahoughton@live.com