Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Mandi's movie review

So I finally saw "Twilight" last night. You may remember I mentioned the book a while back. I had a feeling I was going to feel this way about the movie, and sure enough...
When you read a book you can know what characters are thinking, feeling, and experiencing. Books can make you feel like you are "there". Movies... not usually. Yes. Edward is a babe, but in the movie he was just sad and pathetic. You can't feel the charm and allure that he had over girls. In the book he smiles and is so charming. In the movie he does just a little too much brooding. Some brooding is hot, but I just can't feel attracted to a guy who's just depressing.
Anyway, I knew it would be impossible for the movie to capture the chemistry between Bella and Edward. I'm not going to say it was horrible or anything, but the book blows it away.
The thing that struck me most about this movie was how long ago high school was. I graduated in 2001, so it's been like 8 years. I kept seeing the "kids" in the movie and thinking things like "where are there parents?" "that is just inappropriate" or "a minor can't just drive across the country alone!". So, the teenager antics and behavior were really stark in the movie (not to mention Jen and I were the only non-teen and non-mom-of-a-teen in the theater) Because the book kinda puts you in Bella's shoes you kinda forget how young she is. By the end of the movie I was convinced that there was no way a 17 year old could really be in "real love" and know what being with someone "forever means" (note: I started dating Bryan when I was 17, and I am still "totally and irrevocably in love"). Of course I believe Edward because he's like 200 years old or something, but I believe most things he says.
So, here is my final take on the movie:
The book is way better, it offers no moral or Christian values, but it's super romantic with out being "gross". The movie is only worth seeing if A) you're a teenager B) you've read the book C) you're a big fan of hot vampires. That sorta narrows it down doesn't it?


Check out the AWSOME new Jon Foreman (lead singer from Switchfoot) song on my myspace
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=112297444

No comments: