Friday, September 12, 2008

Candy Stash

Yesterday was Aiden's third day at school. When he got home he had tantrums the whole evening. Apparently he was sent to the Principal's office for eating all the teacher's candy stash. What did they expect? I've tried explaining certain things to them about the way he is, and that "consequences" aren't going to help. So I am feeling really frustrated. When and why was he alone enough to do something like that? What are they thinking sending him to the principal? He seriously needs therapy, none of this is going to change. I hope they are seeing it. It's not that I don't think he should receive consequences, but he doesn't understand other people so it's not going to help. He would do it again today if he found the candy again. He doesn't he understand or care how things effect other people. He loves people but doesn't relate to them properly.
The tantrumming had nothing to do with the candy incident. He was just spent. All his energy all day in behaving like other kids, he was so over stimulated. He spent about 20 minutes in the bath, then he was okay long enough to eat dinner, but each step before bedtime was a struggle.
I don't know if I'm supposed to be talking with someone at the school about this? Should I at least be keeping some kind of journal of his behavior and activities at home, so that I can use it later?
Anyway, it's not really that big of a deal, I guess. They need to see what he's like in order to understand that he needs more than just a regular classroom setting. But that will all come in time.

On a brighter note, Bryan and I are going out on a "date" tonight. I'm excited to get out with out the kiddies and do something fun. We talked about seeing a movie and having dinner, but I think I am going to try and convince him to take me miniature golfing or something cliche like that.

Just keep our family in your prayers. We are going through a lot right now (some of which I don't really care to disclose). Difficulty has been coming at us from every direction for a while. That's just life on earth.

"Lord, please provide patience for me today while I am home with the kids. Help Aiden to have peace and calmness through his wired little body. Please provide wisdom for his teachers at school, and open the right doors. Keep the rest of my family close to you as well. Amen."

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm sending you an email right now!

Unknown said...

Amanda, this story just broke my heart. As an educator and grandmother of a child with autism, may I offer you some encouragement?
Please never stop advocating for your child! Make sure that Aiden's individual issues, such as impulse control and limited emotional resources, are written into his IEP. Help his IEP team come up with suggestions for creative correction methods and include them. Study the booklet the school will give you about the rights of special needs families. There are restrictions on the methods of discipline that can be used on your child when the incident is related to his disability.
As a Christian, please try to find a good balance between advocating for your son and supporting school staff. As the number of special needs students increases every year our jobs become more complex and difficult. I think as his teacher gets to know Aiden better things will naturally improve.
May the Lord lift and energize you to be victorious in what He's given you!