Monday, September 8, 2008

What's working and what's not

Monday has returned to show it's ugly face. Friday afternoon, after talking to the school psychologist, we decided to switch Aiden to the Tuesday /Friday kindergarten schedule (although I suspect after he has a formal evaluation he will have to be in full time). The main reason is transportation. if you read my last blog you probably already realize we had a hard time getting Aiden to leave the school last week. I physically couldn't handle him. We are quite sure he needs a special needs bus, but until he is official we can't get that. So we switched his schedule so he can ride the preschool bus.
So Aiden is home today. He should be going back tomorrow.

On a lighter subject. I went to Wal Mart at 8 on Saturday morning on a mission. I read in one of my books, "Raising Your Spirited Child", that Aiden may be in need of some sensory activities at home to help avoid some of the tantrums. I got online and found on MaryPoppins.com a whole list of sensory activities you can do at home. So I am sure I looked really weird with a cart full of Rubbermaid bins, smelly lotions, rice, and natural cleaning products. I have been introducing new activities one at a time, and only when I can tell he is hard time feeling satisfied (he starts making really weird noises and invading others personal space). His favorite is "Cleaning the Kitchen". He has his own spray bottle and rags, and a swiffer. He cleans sporadically through the day, but mostly after each meal.
Another trick to stopping the tantrums (which apparently works for most all kids, even if they don't have a spectrum disorder) is putting him in a nice warm bath. I got him some new funnels and squeeze bottles for the tub. He sits in there for about 30 minutes. It really works. He can be completely haywire when he goes in and he comes out much calmer (as opposed to trying to get him into time out, which tends to infuriate him).
I will continue to post his new activities as we do them. I have a Rubbermaid bin in the laundry room full of activities on stand by, and I am going to try to space them out.

Now, I have to vent for a little moment (but not about Aiden). I now have a pretty good collection of baby stuff going, a friend gave me bunch of her daughters adorable clothes on Saturday night. I have a swing, a bouncy seat, a cute portable bed, tons of sweet clothes. BUT... I have no where to put them. We have maxed out our living space, and all of Lucy's (and most of the boys) things are in storage, stuffed in closets or in my parents attic. I have been telling myself that I am going to have a grateful attitude and not complain about our current living situation, but it seems pregnancy/selfishness has gotten the better of me. We have plans for what we are going to do and when we are going to move, and I think it is all going to work out well, but as with most things it requires patience and therefore contentment in the meantime. (((sigh)))

"Lord, bless this week with all kinds of joy we don't even see coming. Open doors, and light our path. Please give me contentment as I am waiting patiently for so many things. Please continue to touch Aiden and calm his restlessness. Give wisdom in all decisions. Thank you for this season in life, I'm learning so much. Right when I think you have shaped me into something, you continue to add and change my form. I don't know what I am going to be, but I think it must be really unique. Thank you. Amen."

On a side note, check out Sarahs most recent blog post, I really enjoyed it. http://tuesdaymachine.blogspot.com/2008/09/autism-fact-sheet.html

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Yay! Hooray for sensory stuff! Toby could "wash dishes" for hours if I let him! LOL I'll never forget the day I went to Fred Meyer and bought a huge flat Rubbermaid tub and 12 bags of pinto beans to go in it! The things we do for our kids!
Still praying that the school wrinkles will be ironed out...but it sounds like you have a plan.
Am I to gather from your comment on the VBC MOPS site that you'll be attending? I wasn't planning on going, but I may just have to do it now!
Take care,
Sarah