Sunday, September 14, 2008

Once was lost...

Amidst all the obvious stress I have been under the past couple weeks there have also been some very serious things that were bothering me that I just didn't want to discuss.
I'm going to share one of them just because it has now been resolved.
First, you must understand what things were like when we moved in here a couple months ago. I was very very sick. I was spending all day and all night in the bathroom. Honestly I don't know how I got by with the kids during the day. Also, because I was so sick I didn't do the actual packing and moving. It was mostly up to a couple of Bryan's good friends.
There was however one box of my most important things that I packed and left in the "to the house" (not the storage or goodwill) pile.
The first things I noticed I never received were my Tapps Island Garage sale passes and my favorite sunglasses. Then some papers I needed to get my lab work done. Despite how sick I was when I packed them I did recall packing these things in a box together.
Then the real storm hit in the middle of the night a couple weeks ago. I sat up straight in bed when I realized... Nolan's baby pictures, memory box, and ashes were also m.i.a.
I woke Bryan up to ask him where Nolan's things were. "Aren't they at your mom and dads?"
was his groggy response before rolling over and going back to sleep.
So the next day I called my mom and vaguely asked if any of Nolan's stuff was there. I knew she would probably give me a pretty harsh speech if she knew I couldn't find his ashes. She had no idea where his stuff was.
I went to the storage the next day. It was a fruitless search. Being five months pregnant at the time I really wasn't able to look very thoroughly.
So yesterday, finally, Bryan had time to go out to the storage and do some real looking. At this point I was very nervous because so many boxes had been given to goodwill or thrown away.
When Bryan emerged with the box containing: my sunglasses, Dr papers, Nolan's photo album, memory box, and the ashes; my whole world took a breath.
His things are irreplaceable. The guilt I had been carrying for not knowing where these things are (which I usually keep in plain view to see every day) was so heavy. The only peace I could find while I didn't know where these things were was that they were only earthly possessions, and that the real treasure is already waiting for me in heaven. I only had to "loose" him once. Now he can't be lost.

"Praise I found what I was looking for!"

2 comments:

Keren said...

Oh Mandi I am so glad you were able to find his ashes. I know how much they must mean to you and what a relief to have them now!! Lets get together this week!

God Made Playdough said...

Hugs!!!!