Thursday, September 25, 2008

The Flasher

I knew this scenario was going to happen... somehow...someday, but I didn't really think it was going to be yesterday.
Aiden doesn't get social norms. I have taught him manners since he was in a high chair. I have always taught him modesty as well, especially recently. But it doesn't matter because quite honestly he only absorbs about 5% of what I say in general. And as I said, he doesn't understand social ques. Mostly because he doesn't really acknowledge the opinions, feelings, etc of other people.
Yesterday as I was waiting for his bus to bring him home, my cell phone rang. It was his lovely teacher calling to give me an update which is usually something unpleasant but not surprising. She informed me that at first recess Aiden dropped his pants and peed on the playground.

"Oh my Lord."

There are probably several confused kindergarten girls out there now. I was mortified. I confessed we have had this problem before,and have talked to him several times about
only going in the potty, and always keeping your clothes on when there are other people around. He peed in the front yard last week and got put in his room for the rest of the afternoon. So you can see the frustration we experience in trying to teach him rules and consequences.
She didn't push the issue any further and changed the subject to something else.

We have a meeting coming up on the 9th with several key people from the school and admin. to discuss Aiden's needs and to officially begin his evaluation. I'm sure this incident will be mentioned, although it was not necessary to convince his teacher and psychologist that special ed. services are needed.

On a happier note he has made progress in other areas. In just a couple of weeks he has learned to self correct in order to get himself to willingly line up with other kids and come in from recess. Also, in the past couple days he has mentioned several of his classmates by name. It's hard to explain why that's impressive, but you have to realize he is often only aware of himself, and although he is very social he doesn't know how to play with other kids (ie sharing, taking turns, conversing and not just goofy or potty talk)

"Lord, help me to make it through the day with a good attitude and not be worried about what is going to happen next. Thank you for blessing me with a good sense of humor. please continue to open doors in this journey with Aiden. There are times when I am really not sure what he needs. Please bring us unexpected joy today. Amen."

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Man, I think they should add flashing/peeing to the list of common autistic traits. Then everyone else would just be prepared for it. Like our poor neighbor, when Toby answered the front door naked and then peed at the guy's feet. Sigh.
I am glad to hear that some things are working though -- that's encouraging! It took Toby all year last year to learn the names of the kids in his class of 10 kids.
Crazy boys!