Monday, August 25, 2008

Enough with the judgment.

Ok, I know that I already posted today, but since then there have been some events in my day I feel very compelled to share.

Today I took Aiden and Jack to the play area in the Super Mall. I knew there would be certain challenges involved there as far as Aiden is concerned. One problem we have been having lately has been shoes. He has some sensory problems and can get really hung up on strange things. I have been having a really hard time getting him to wear shoes. He was okay with sandals over the summer but when I bought him new sneakers for school I knew it would be tough to get them broken in. First it was a refusal to wear socks. Often he complains that his feet are to "hot". And now we are at the point where he will wear them but it takes about a hundred years for me to get him to put them on. I have a general rule that I won't do things like that for him, he has to put on his own shoes, so it can take a while.

Anyway, the Super Mall was just what I thought it would be. Afterward we decided to eat at McD's for something special (my mother in law and Aiden's little cousin were with us).
Oh my, everything was a crisis. He was screaming from the moment we walked into the restaurant. It is hard to explain in words, because you have to understand that he did want to be there, but his nervous system couldn't take any more stimulation. He screamed and cried about white milk, and wanting apple juice (which nobody else had and was never offered to him), screamed because he didn't want to sit down, screamed because he didn't understand why people don't get to pick what toy they get in their happy meal, screamed once again about his shoes....
Now, this is the part where you imagine being me, and putting your sweet little child in Aiden's place. Now imagine you can hear what everyone in the crowded restaurant, "Oh my god, what is wrong with that kid!" "Why doesn't she do something with him, she's just letting him scream like that" "They should have to leave, that is so annoying" "My kids never act that way" "If that was my kid I would kill myself".
Now imagine the looks on their faces. Some are disgusted, some are laughing, some only raise their eyebrows.
I'm tired now. I hate McD's anyway. He can't wear a sign around. I can't use his "label" for my own relief.
Anyone who gets what I am saying here, please do me this one favor. Next time you are out and about, and there is some mom with a kid who is behaving ridiculously and everyone else is staring and casting stones: A) Give her a real smile, a warm "it happens" smile. B) If you can, tell her she's doing fine and you understand.
Thanks

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Your doing fine! And I understand! Love Ya!

Keren said...

::hugs:: you're a wonderful mommy..the kids are so lucky to have you :) Im sorry you're having to deal with these type of people :(