Monday, August 4, 2008

What we are teaching our kids and what they are teaching us.

We are doing school shopping for the first time today! Aiden and Jack are both getting hair cuts and new clothes. I am going to do our school supplies shopping and a day alone with Aiden another day. School starts September 2, that's less than a month away! I am sooooo excited for him. I don't even know how to describe this feeling. My mother in law is shocked that I am not the least bit sad about Aiden starting school, but I don't understand why I should be. I loved kindergarten, and really all of elementary school. I am going to be very involved and I am just so excited about the whole thing! I want my kids to grow and learn. I love them when they are babies, but I want them to grow up and become contributing, and fulfilled people. And I must add that Aiden has had so many behavioral struggles, I know that this is the next phase in helping him to work through those things. I can't really help him by keeping him at home, I'm not a professional. There are days when he has me so worn out, and has just sucked all the energy out of me. It is the right time for me to let others help me. So let that be encouragement to all moms with behavioral 3 and 4 year olds out there, nobody expects you to be able to go it all alone. I am the type of person that isn't afraid to say "hey! I'm really struggling here! I love my child but I don't know what he needs right now." I have had friends who begin to feel like "bad parents" when they don't know what to do with their spirited child, and they (and their kid) suffer in silence for way to long. Anyway, so that's another subject I would love to get mail from you guys about. Email or call me, even if you are nervous to share your feelings out loud. I've already been there. I have had so many day when I wanted to give up because my cup was so empty. And not all spirited children have issues that are as obvious as Aiden's, sometimes it is something you just can't quite put your finger on, or you just keep thinking "maybe all preschoolers are this way and I just didn't know it". Being a parent is HARD!
And on that note, I wanted to remind mommies to sign up for MOPS for the fall. If you don't know what that is, or you want to but need more info just let me know. I attend the MOPS group at Bethany Baptist on South Hill, although the church is just the host, it is not a branch or ministry lead by my church. I can even forward you a registration form if you would like!

"Lord, bless our children and the plans you have made for their future. Help them to learn and grow everyday. Help us as parents to make the right choices in leading them to adulthood. Thank you for the joy and lessons they bring to our lives. Amen."

1 comment:

Keren said...

Yay for MOPS! Im so happy its right around the corner! :) thank you for reccommending it to me...I now have some wonderful lifelong friends! Valley is starting up a MOPS too...unfortunatley it will be the same day at my Orting group...Pam is starting it up!